Welcome to Breaking the Silence
What’s different about the “Breaking the Silence” website?
- The Breaking the Silence website is simple, easy to use, and designed with your rural snail pace download speeds in mind.
- There is no other website that provides such a comprehensive cover of relevant information If you, or someone you know, is experiencing Family & Domestic Violence; tailored to where you live in Rural WA.
- We aim to become a central information and education hub on domestic violence issues. Lack of information will not be a barrier for you. Many people, just like you, are experiencing domestic violence within the home and we know it can be difficult to look locally for assistance.
- Breaking the Silence makes it easier to find out about services, accessibility or programs and when and how to assert your rights.
- The education component of this program is essential for all community members – men, women and children. We MUST educate what Domestic Violence IS so that individuals can be informed and know what is acceptable behaviour within the safety of your family home.
How did Breaking the Silence come about?
Inaugural BtS Board Chair and Author Fleur McDonald had a vision to provide a one-stop webpage to provide information on LOCAL services for people experiencing Family and Domestic Violence in rural and remote areas of Australia. Fleur is an Esperance resident – so Esperance is the first rural town in WA to have a BtS webpage.
Fleur understood that a perceived and actual lack of anonymity within small regional areas is one of the foremost reasons for a victim not seeking assistance or information. Breaking the Silence addresses this in delivering information and access to services quickly and within the privacy of the home. A virtual contact when someone feels they don’t have anyone or anywhere to turn.
Fleur has always believed that our friends and family networks should be like a spider web – strong and sticky and not letting anyone fall through. Unfortunately not everyone has these networks set up and that’s where Breaking the Silence hopes to step in and using a different type of ‘web’ – the World Wide Web – to help those experiencing the devastating trauma and isolation; both geographical and social, of Family & Domestic Violence.
VISION, MISSION, OBJECTIVES
Our vision – By 2021 we will have the profile, funding and capacity to offer assistance to any person living in an abusive relationship in regional Western Australia.
Our mission – We believe that every person in a relationship should feel safe, respected and free from any form of violence or oppression.
Our Values – Breaking the Silence is a unique and innovative organisation that addresses the complex issue of abusive relationships in rural and remote areas by providing readily accessible advice and services to assist people to live meaningful and safe lives.
We focus on the delivery of online advice and localised confidential support to people who are traumatised by abusive relationships.
Through caring, trained professionals we provide people with access to the tools needed to enhance their lives & personal safety, whilst advocating for positive social change for current and future generations.
Who We Support – Any person impacted by an abusive relationship in rural regional and remote Australia.
- The web hub allows access to services relevant for individuals and families experiencing the many facets of domestic violence – Locally focused services, relevant and accurate information.
- The web hub will be easy to use.
- The web hub will be simple to access.